KYDS, we hear you… Loud and Clear!
We’re excited to announce the launch of the Loud and Clear campaign with KYDS Youth Development Service, aimed at raising $75,000 to fund an additional counsellor in our community. Each dollar donated through-out the month of October will be doubled by the Turramurra and Lindfield Community Bank until we reach our goal.
About KYDS Youth Development Service
Last year, KYDS provided more than 6000 counselling sessions to young people. In the first six months of this year alone, they received 39% more referrals for counselling support than in the same period in 2019. Their counsellors have already delivered 130% more counselling sessions this year.
What will KYDS do with an additional $75,000?
For over 16 years KYDS has provided free, confidential counselling support for young people in our community when they need it, for as long as they need it, in a way that works for them.
$75,000 will pay for an additional counsellor to join the team for the next 12 months, providing 900 more counselling sessions to over 50 vulnerable young people in our community.
Join our Free Mental Health Online Workshops
During Mental Health Month in October, KYDS is delivering a series of online mental health workshops and webinars for young people, parents/carers and families in our community (and beyond). If you would like to make a donation to support the Loud and Clear campaign, please visit the KYDS website www.kyds.org.au or ask your presenter for more information.
Parenting a Quaranteenager
Supporting Your Child’s Mental Health Coming Out of Lockdown
Date: Tuesday 12/10/2021 at 6:30pm
- Identifying and responding to your child’s needs as lockdown ends
- Modelling and fostering positive behaviours during difficult and uncertain times
Movement, mindset, and mates: Three simple ways to manage stress and anxiety during lockdown
Date: Wednesday 13/10/2021 at 6:30pm
- Discover the easy way to manage your state through movement
- Learn simple & effective techniques to develop a happier mindset
- Improve your relationships and maintain strong personal connections
Parenting a Screenager
Supporting Your Child’s Management of Technology
Date: Tuesday 19/10/2021 at 6:30pm
- Understanding the effects of technology on the adolescent brain
- Learning to maintain control while encouraging personal autonomy and responsibility
- Modelling and fostering positive behaviours in the digital age
Practical tips on how to ensure that young people know that we hear them Loud and Clear.
Dates: Thursday 21/10/2021 or Thursday 28/10/2021 at 6:30pm
It isn’t easy to know how to respond effectively when our teenagers are upset or angry. Dr Google encourages us to ‘listen’, ensure they ‘feel heard’, ‘validate their feelings’, ‘be present’ with them. But, what does that actually mean in practice?
In this workshop:
- Increase understanding of the neurobiology of the stress response and the barrier to communication with your young person.
- Practical skills in communicating effectively
- Top tips on frequent mistakes that get in the road of effective listening
- Strategies to facilitate connection and create opportunities for conversation when our teens are reluctant
What, how and why: three basic questions to regain your motivation and momentum after lockdown
Date: Wednesday 27/10/2021 at 6:30pm
- Learn the most effective way to avoid mental blocks and overcome procrastination
- Discover how to build motivation and create a simple plan to achieve your goals
- Find out how small changes and basic habits can lead to outstanding results